Every Internet user in this world has interacted with any type of google ads in his lifetime including me. So, when I started learning google ads that’s when I realized that I have already seen and interacted with these ads before.
So in this article, we are going to discuss the basics of Google Ads and the Introduction to Google Ads. My intent in writing this article is to get you all beginners started on running Google Ads.
So, what is Google Ads?
Google Ads is an online advertising platform developed by Google to help Online marketers to reach their audience easily. In Google Ads you only pay for the number of clicks you receive, thus this type of ad formats are called Pay-Per-Click or PPC.
When someone searches on Google for a particular search term, Google would throw a list of results for you. But you will notice if look closely that both the top and the bottom results are generally ads.
There are following types of Google Ads: –
- Search Ads
- Display Ads
- Shopping Ads
- Video Ads
- Universal App Campaign
When a user searches for something on Google, the list of ads that appear above the top organic page are called Search Ads. For example, when a user searches for “Best Digital Marketing Agency”, he will get some ads at the top and list of the organic listings start from there.
Google considers many factors before deciding which ads to show first, Important factors in search ads are: –
- Targeting – You will choose location targeting where you want to show your ads.
- Keyword – The keyword for which you have optimized the ad and is being searched by the user.
- Ad copy relevance – Ads that appear for a specific search term should be highly relevant. A search for shoes should not show results for Loan Offers.
- Landing page experience – The Landing page should be relevant to what the user has searched for and also it should have a better user experience.
- Conversion rate – How many users are getting converted according to the goals defined.
- Bids – If 2 advertisers have perfect ads and landing pages, the higher bid will get preference over the lower one.
- Quality score: Quality score depends on all of the factors mentioned above. Everything is interrelated.
While you are reading a post or viewing a video on some random website, you see ads in a lot of different places on the page, and in different sizes. These are called Display Ads.
Unlike search ads, display ads use users’ interest and behavior in recent times to show ads to users. Suppose, u visited Amazon to buy a product, searched for the product added it to cart and then left it. Now you are browsing a website and suddenly you see the advertisement for the same product you were looking for. That’s basically display ads.
Google considers many factors before deciding where ads to show, Important factors in-display ads are: –
- Keywords – The ads are displayed based on the keywords that they are optimized for. Let’s say the keyword for the ad is “Digital Marketing”, then Google would choose websites that contain topic related to Digital Marketing.2.
- Remarketing – This helps you reconnect with users who have interacted with your website in the past. Using remarketing, you can target users who have come to your website but have not taken any action.
- Topic – Advertisers can target users based on the topics they are interested in. For example, you are interested in travel, so an Advertiser who wants to target people interested in travel would show the ad to you more frequently.
If you are a retail shop owner, this campaign type would make more sense for you. This type of ad boosts traffic to your website and helps in getting more conversions.
Shopping ads would appear on the search network and google search page results at the top right of the search page.
Important factors in shopping ads are: –
- Setup up a Google Merchant Centre account. It is a platform that helps retailers to upload all of their product listings in a specific format.
- Set up an account with Google Ads & link them together.
- Submit updated product data feed frequently to Google Merchant Centre.
Since both the tools are linked together, shopping ads take all the product details from Google Merchant Centre, match the search query and display relevant ads to the user.
This type of ads allows advertisers to run video ads on YouTube and other Google Display Networks.
The main benefits of running video ads are: –
- Better targeting – This type of ad has better demographics, location, interest, keyword and device targeting which helps you reach the best audience on YouTube and Google Display Network.
- More reach – YouTube is the most visited website and has 30 million visitors every day. Additionally, video ads are also displayed on Google Display Network which means that you have access to a more wide and targeted audience.
- Highly measurable – Unlike advertising on television, YouTube ads let you know all the necessary metrics like views, view rate, clicks, reach and frequency, engagement, performance, etc. Video ads are highly measurable compare to advertising on television.
Universal app campaign
This campaign is helpful for promoting businesses with a mobile application. Here, the advertiser can promote the mobile app across search, Play Store, Display & YouTube and in Google Display Network. Ads uses ad text and other assets from your app store listings itself. All you need to do is provide some multimedia, a budget. and a starting bid. Also, don’t forget to set languages and locations for the ad.
By utilizing all the assets provided, Ads itself designs a variety of ads in different formats. Google will automatically test different ad combinations and display the one that performs the best.
So, by reading this article you know have the basic knowledge about what is Google ads and its types and how and where they appear. So, go and create your own Google Ads account and start practicing your Digital Marketing journey.